Thursday, February 5, 2015

Growing Your Hair Out

1.  Eat a plant based diet.  This translates into eating a lot of vegetables and fruit.  Try to cover all the colors of the rainbow when choosing your vegetables to ensure you get the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals for hair growth.

2. Eat some good fat.  Good fats are essential for healthy skin and hair.  In addition, fat is necessary for the absorption of many vitamins like A, D, E, and K.

3.  Take a multivitamin.  It will supplement any deficiencies in your diet.  Vitamin C in necessary to make collagen.  Iron and zinc also support healthy hair follicles.

4. Protectively style your hair.  This is an important one!  Avoid all hairstyles that put stress on the hair.  For example, tight ponytails, elastics, or twist will weaken the hair.  Also, protect your hair from clothing that pulls at it or dries it out.  I noticed, for example, my hair frequently got caught on my Lululemon tanks made with Luon.  Now I always cover my hair when I put them on and I put my hair up while I'm wearing my Lulu.  Also, wool and cashmere can draw moisture out of your hair making it brittle.  Wearing a silk scarf between my hair and sweater or an updo protects my hair from damage.  Also, in the summer wear a hat to protect your hair from the sun.

5. Treat your hair like it is delicate.  This means limiting your styling done with heat (blow dryers and irons) and combing and brushing your hair as little as possible.  Whenever I can I finger style my hair to avoid pulling it.  Also, when I detangle I try to do it gently, not pulling excessively.  I use a high quality brush like Moroccan Oil or Mason Pearson,

6. Daily massage your scalp for three minutes.  I do this before bed to stimulate scalp circulation and invigorate my hair follicles.  I will often use a few drops of almond or argan oil infused with essential oils which promote a healthy scalp that in turn means better hair growth.  To 4 ounces of the carrier oil I add a ten drops of essential oils of rosemary, sage, lavender, peppermint, and tea tree oil,  You can use one or any combination of these you want.

7. Give yourself a preconditioner before you wash your hair.  Use 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite conditioner or coconut oil.  Apply this to your hair. This can be done a few hours before or put on at night to prepare your hair to be washed in the morning.  The advantage of the pre conditioning is that it strengthens and helps detangle the hair before shampooing.  Shampooing puts stress on your hair.  Pre conditioning makes sure that your hair is well moisturized so the shampoo does not overstrip it.  After shampooing and conditioning as usual, your hair will be softer and silkier.



No comments:

Post a Comment